Tuesday, February 23, 2010

my first real job

I can't believe this... but I just applied for my first real job yesterday! Wow!! For some reason, I keep feeling anxious (and excited) whenever I think about working as a real nurse. It is sooo much responsibility, and I think I am realizing the weight of all I will be doing in just a few short months. 

So many people can't even think about getting married now and just want to work, but I am much more nervous about working in the real world than I ever was about getting married. God keeps bringing Philippians 4:6 to mind... "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." So for now, I am just praying and asking the Lord to give me peace and to guide my steps as I make these decisions.


In just 4 short days... I will be leaving for Ecuador!!! YEAH!!!! I haven't been out of the country in almost 3 years so I can't wait! We finished most of the packing of supplies today which made me so excited! We are taking 20 big black trunks with all our medical supplies, medications, teaching materials, etc. So now they are all ready to go! My bag on the other hand... only has a few pairs of scrubs packed so far. I need to get going on that... I can't wait to tell you all about my trip when I get back! Please be in prayer for my whole team. There are 16 nursing students going, some building science guys (who are building a daycare during the week), and a few faculty members. We leave Saturday (2/27) at 5:30 pm from Atlanta and then we get back Sunday (3/7) at about 5:30 am... we are going to be so exhausted when we get back! Oh goodness... but I know it will be soooo worth it! Here is some more info about our trip. Thank you for your prayers!


This past Sunday, I started my preceptorship! If you didn't know, I am doing it on the Mother/Baby unit at East Alabama. I got to take care of some wonderful mommas and babies!! I love my job!! It is just such an exciting time in all the families' lives, and I am so thrilled to be a small part of their experience. A huge part of being a postpartum nurse is educating the mothers (particularly first time mothers). So that is what I really want to focus on perfecting during my preceptorship. My preceptor (the nurse I always work with) is sooo wonderful!! She is a great teacher and is already giving me more responsibility with the patients. I can already tell I am going to love this semester. I will tell more stories later... hope everyone is having a great week so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment