Sunday, January 31, 2010

enjoy each moment

Recently, I have been having to remind myself to live each day to the fullest of that moment and not to always be looking to the future. A few of the things I am looking forward to about the future... my first nursing job (I know I'm crazy), where Blake and I will live in Auburn after I graduate, going on a cruise for our 1 year anniversary (hopefully!), going overseas with Blake, having children... My list could go on and on, but I will spare you. For some reason, I seem to keep seeing babies everywhere. Now don't go telling someone Blake and I are wanting to have kids right now, because we truly are just loving being married and free of children right now. But, I have to admit that it is sooo fun to think about all the future will hold for us as far as kids go. I have a few friends who are pregnant and I love seeing their updated pictures of their nurseries, their bellies, and all the fun parts of being pregnant. However, I realize that mixed in there is morning sickness, stress, little sleep, the burden of raising a child, and so on. So for now... I am going to try to keep my eyes, mind, and heart on the here and now and not always just be looking forward to what is next. The Lord reminded me of Psalm 90:12 that says "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." I want to live each day like it could be my last.

Next on the agenda... Ecuador!! Some of you may know, I am going to Ecuador in just a few weeks with a group from nursing school. I am so so excited about this trip! For those of your who aren't up to date on your South America geography, here is a map.
Ecuador is the small blue country on the West coast. Quito, the capital, is where we will be serving. Monday through Friday we are doing a women's health clinic. There will be physicians who are doing examinations, and we will be doing lots of teaching to the women and their children. I am not sure specifically how it will all go, but we have a meeting this week so I will know more details then. I am just so excited to see what the Lord will do through us to minister to the women and children both physically and spiritually. Please be in prayer for me and the rest of our team going. Pray God will turn these women to himself. They desperately need the Lord to change their lives. Thank you so much!! If you notice on the map, Ecuador is exactly on the equator!! So... this only means we must have a "fun day at the equator"!! This would include watching water go STRAIGHT down in a sink or toilet instead of spinning around the bowl. If you have never noticed, go flush the toilet and notice that it spins one way down the bowl. So... the equator day should be a highlight of the trip for sure! Haha! Another fun day we will have in Ecuador is a zip line through the rainforest... seriously!! I am sooo pumped about it!

Last thing tonight-- I want to ask all of you to pray for my friend Carrie Chavers. She was diagnosed with adreno-cortical carcinoma last summer. She had surgery to remove all the doctor's saw, and she was cancer-free!! Praise the Lord!! Now, the cancer has returned. She and her husband, Jason, are in our Sunday school class. Please pray the Lord will give her doctors wisdom to know how to best treat her. Pray God will give his peace that passes all understanding to both Carrie and Jason... pray God will give them strength... please, just pray for them. Thank you so much! I know they will greatly appreciate your prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Katherine,

    Thank you so much for this post. I desperately needed to hear that about living in the here and now and not in the future. Josh and I have been doing lots of talking about our future and where we will be when he finishes Auburn. I have found myself just stressing over it majorly.

    ReplyDelete