Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Zumba, God, and Good Friends

So... you are probably thinking that these three things are completely unrelated. But that is what the last two days have consisted of for me. First of all-- ZUMBA!! Zumba is a latin-style cardio workout. My friend Marianne went with me to our first Zumba class at the Student Act. It was so much fun!! I wasn't really sure what to expect, but there were TONS of girls there, and it really was a workout. I was a bit surprised. Thank you again, Marianne, for going with me! If anyone ever wants to go, just let me know!

God is just amazing! I love seeing the Lord in small ways throughout my day... sometimes that is easier and more evident. I think so many times, I am just so busy and caught up in my day that I just won't slow down to see or hear the Lord. I don't want to be like that. I have had a lot of free time in the past week which has been wonderful for my mental health. I tend to get a little caught up with all the stress and worries of school... you can just ask Blake. I surprise myself with the self-discipline I have to study Nursing books and how un-disciplined I am when it comes to spending time with the Lord. I'm not too big on making new year's resolutions, but I want to strive to be much more self-disciplined to study the Word. I have recently started studying the fruits of the Spirit. I am going through "A Woman's Walk with God." Yesterday, the main thing that stuck with me was a story of a missionary that said "he simply tried to see the face of Christ in the faces of the people he ministered to- to love them for Christ's sake." To relate that to everyday life... we (talking to myself here too) should treat all those around us as though it was Christ himself. I know this may not be a new thought to you, but the Lord just used it to speak to me in a whole new way yesterday. He has also been showing me that "loving your enemies" is not just being cordial to them... but actually LOVING them (even the annoying people we just try to avoid or ignore). Today in class, my teacher was talking about caring. She asks how you feel when you have truly cared for someone or done something caring for someone. It makes you feel so much better about yourself... but it's not just about feeling good about ourselves. It's all about giving glory to the Lord through obedience to his Word- even in loving our enemies. In closing this section, remember what Jesus said were the two greatest commandments: 1. Love the Lord your God 2. Love your neighbor as yourself

Now, on to good friends!! I had my "nursing school friends" over for dinner. These girls are all so special to me, and I have truly learned so much from being with them the past 2 years of nursing school and before that. We are all so similar, but also so different with our unique personalities. We just have so much fun together!! One of the many memories that stands out to me is when we went to Emily's beach house at Seaside and we all wore polka dot bathing suits... yes, seriously. And we didn't even plan it. So, here is a picture for your enjoyment and laughter...


I get really sad every time I think of the reality that graduation (and even preceptorship before that) is going to bring... all these great girls going off and working all over the place, but away from Auburn. Auburn will definitely never be the same for me after these next few months. Please understand me, I am still sooo thrilled about staying in Auburn after graduation. God has already blessed us with so many "married couple friends" which is a HUGE blessing!! Instead of focusing on the so called "negative" things that will change with graduation, I am going to focus on the positive and all the things God is doing and will be doing through this change. And I really am looking forward to graduating college... only 106 days to go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment